Sep 22, 2016
We're take a glimpse at the music of The Highlands this week with awesome Celtic music from Battlefield Band, Socks in the Frying Pan, Seamus Kennedy, Bonnie Rideout, Ed Miller, Solas, Gallowglass Irish Trio, Jamie Smith's MABON, Stout Pounders, Terry Griffith, The Led Farmers, The Ne'er Duwels, Kailyarders, Barleyjuice, SeaStar.
If you enjoy this podcast, then please rate the show on iTunes or your favorite podcatcher. Then subscribe to our Celtic Music Magazine. This is our free newsletter and your guide to the latest Celtic music and podcast news. Subscribe today to download 34 Celtic MP3s for free. Remember to support the artists who support this podcast: buy their CDs, download their MP3s, see their shows, and drop them an email to let them know you heard them on the Irish and Celtic Music Podcast. And remember to Vote in the Celtic Top 20 to help me create next year's Best Celtic Music 2016 episode.
Every year, I take a small group of Celtic music fans to exotic locations around the world. We don’t travel in big tour buses and see everything. Instead, we stay in one area. We get to Know the region through its culture, history, and legends. Plus, I bring you some great Celtic music by me and other Celtic artists. We're going to Brittany in 2017. Subscribe to the mailing list to join the invasion at celticinvasion.com
* Helping you celebrate Celtic culture through music.
* If you joined me on Facebook over the past couple o'weeks, you would've read a bunch of Celtic Music Spotlights. If you ever wanted to find out more about the bands in the show, these short features are both informative and fun. Plus, this week, we posted a list of upcoming Celtic festivals for the next month. I'm hoping that will be a new regular feature.
* I have a free show of Hobbit Drinking Songs tonight on Concert Window.
* You have until September 27th to make a pledge on Kickstarter for the new Kilted Kings album. If you want a physical CD and some cool swag, including an album by Seamus Kennedy, now is the time to pledge.
* I want o send out a quick thanks to our newest patron Frank Donahue and also to Stephen Bernhardt who upped his per episode donation to help us get a closer to our next milestone that will bring you 2-hours of Celtic Women, plus an extra hour and half of music in October in addition to the regular shows. Become a Patron today, because we are helping you celebrate Celtic culture through music.
* I WANT YOUR FEEDBACK: What are you doing today while listening to the podcast? You can send a written comment along with a picture of what you're doing while listening, or from one of your trips to one of the Celtic nations. Call 678-CELT-POD to leave a voicemail message. That's 678-235-8763.
Paul & Judith wrote shared a picture in the shownotes: "Hey Marc, We listened to this fantastic podcast whilst driving back to the ferry port at Ouistreham, Normandie, in northern France from La Loire to catch the ferry back home to Southern England. It made the drive go so much quicker! Thank you so much for putting it together – we really appreciate all your efforts!"
Tess Walsh shared a picture on Facebook and wrote. "Enjoying your podcast while drinking my nana's tea and doing homework. Thank you for keeping me focused, keep up the good work."
In last week's Celtic Music Magazine, I asked what people were doing for Halfway to St. Patrick's Day.
Dan Diviney wrote: "Hi there Marc, I’ll be celebrating Halfway to St. Paddy’s Day with Across the Pond again this year. We’re at The Garryowen Irish Pub in Gettysburg, PA."
Johnston Davidson wrote: "Our band, 33 1/3rd, will be celebrating Halfway to St Patrick's Day at Molly Malone's in Townsville, North Queensland, Australia, supporting traditional and contemporary Celtic music in the Southern Hemisphere. Warm work! Have a great day!"
Elaine Christian wrote: "The Southwest Celtic Music Association is producing a halfway to St. Pat's show but we're doing it on Friday Sept. 16"
Luiz Armando Capra Filho wrote: "Hello Marc! I love your show! And living in Porto Alegre, Rio Grande do Sul. The southernmost state of Brazil. I found your podcast during the pilgrimage to Santiago de Compostela in 2014. Since then, I follow weekly. I am a teacher and I listen to your show as I travel to the next town where I teach. Thank you, all the groups and Celtic fans. It lights up my days. Buen camino ! Viva Santiago! (Amazing show 275)"
Lynda Noble MacNeil wrote: "I love that you are playing such wonderful and off the beaten track music. I always hear a tune that I just have to learn! I will be celebrating “halfway to St. Patrick’s Day” on the 18th, making music with my band Gaelic Muses at Lily Mac’s Irish Pub and Restaurant in Sunnyvale, CA. We will be mixing it up with piratey tunes, to link in to “talk like a pirate day”. We are 3 chicks in corsets playing Celtic music, both rock and traditional. I know we’ll have a blast! We don’t have a cd yet, maybe this year, but when it happens, I’ll be absolutely thrilled to hear one of our tunes on your podcast. Meanwhile, you give me constant inspiration. Thank you SO much!"
0:28 "Highlands: The Lass of Killiecrankie / The Ladies of Gormand / Untitled Highland / The Teelin Highland" by Battlefield Band from Beg & Borrow
4:41 "The Track for the Craic" by Socks in the Frying Pan by Socks in the Frying Pan
8:56 "Finnegan's Wake" by Seamus Kennedy from By Popular Demand
13:05 "North Highland Tunes" by Bonnie Rideout from Celtic Circles
18:20 "Highland Laddie" by Ed Miller from Scottish Voice
21:59 CELTIC PODCAST NEWS
23:14 "Little Bird of Heaven (feat. Mairead Phelan)" by Solas from All These Years
26:22 "Executioner's Jig" by Gallowglass Irish Trio from All Our Best
28:49 "Yes We Sing Now" by Jamie Smith's MABON from Windblown
32:14 "Atholl Highlanders" by Stout Pounders from Thirst
34:05 "Highland Paddy" by Terry Griffith from For My Grandfathers
37:36 CELTIC FEEDBACK
40:30 "Share the Wealth" by The Led Farmers from Katie
43:42 "Meet Me Back in Ireland" by The Ne'er Duwels from The Ne'er Duwels
48:19 "Highland Lovers Song" by Kailyarders from The Black Well
51:01 "Nancy Drinks Tequila" by Barleyjuice from A Night at the Pub
56:39 "Highland Mary" by SeaStar from Never Go Back
VOTE IN THE CELTIC TOP 20. It's easier than ever to do. Just list the show number, and the name of one or two bands. That's it. You can vote once for each episode help me create next year's Best Celtic music of 2016 episode.
The Irish & Celtic Music Podcast was produced by Marc Gunn, The Celtfather. To subscribe, go to iTunes or to our website where you can become a Patron of the Podcast for as little as $1 per episode. Promote Celtic culture through music at celticmusicpodcast.com.